Grantee: Boy Scouts
Title: Statesville Area Scout Strong Initiative
Description: It is a primary prevention program that uses physical and emotional fitness aspects of the scouting program to teach skills to resist drugs and alcohol and how to make healthy choices.
Why This Project Was Chosen: Addresses youth education on alcohol and substance abuse issues, plus the Boy Scouts are partners in the Talk It Out program.
Who This Project Impacted: Youth and adult scout members and non-members.
Results of Project:
- 96 scouts benefited from substance abuse education from the scouting advancement program.
- 262 scouts received substance abuse education through council sponsored SCOUTStrong events.
- 29 SCOUTStrong activities at Camp Bud Schiele.
- 20 adult scout leaders were trained on using the SCOUTStrong program.
- 613 youth and adult members currently make a weekly pledge in front of their peers to keep themselves “physically strong and mentally awake.”
- 200-plus Iredell youth and adults have received substance abuse education through SCOUTStrong events open
to non-scouts, siblings and parents.